Barcelona brush off Man City's 'rumoured' Pedri move

    Barcelona are standing firm amid swirling talk of a blockbuster transfer swoop from Manchester City for their midfield maestro Pedri.

    pedri-the-midfielder-of-fc-barcelona-in-action16 pedri-the-midfielder-of-fc-barcelona-in-action16

    Whispers from England over the past few days have suggested that Pep Guardiola's Manchester City are plotting a 100 million euros move for the 22-year-old Spaniard.

    Reports have painted Pedri as the prime candidate to step into the boots of Kevin De Bruyne, whose time at the Etihad remains under a cloud. Yet, Barcelona have dismissed the chatter, with club insiders insisting no such offer has landed at Spotify Camp Nou. "He's not for sale," a source close to the club has said via Marca.
     
    That hasn't stopped the speculation. Pedri's dazzling displays for both Barcelona and Spain under Luis de la Fuente have made him a hot property across Europe. The Catalan giants acknowledge that top clubs are bound to circle for a player of his quality, but they're unfazed. "It's no surprise the big guns are watching," one club official admitted. "He's special."

    For now, Barcelona are keeping their cool. Pedri has been a linchpin under Hansi Flick this season, clocking 44 appearances in their 45 matches, his only absence coming against Valencia due to a stomach bug. The Canary Islands native, who rose through the ranks at Las Palmas, inked a new contract in February tying him to the club until 2030. "This is one of the seasons I've enjoyed most," Pedri said last week. "The lads make it a joy, and I just want to keep winning with them." 

    Back when he signed that deal, the lifelong Barcelona fan couldn't hide his delight. "I dreamed of this as a kid, and it's even better than I imagined," he said. "Renewing was one of the best moments of my life, I'm over the moon to stay where I've always wanted to be."

    Those words are music to Barcelona's ears, and they're banking on his loyalty to see off any suitors.  

    Pedri doubled down on his team-first ethos in a recent TV3 interview, shrugging off personal accolades. "I'd rather my teammates win the Ballon d'Or than me," he said. "I'd love to see Raphinha or Lamine Yamal take it, they're the ones making waves. As long as we're lifting trophies, I'm happy."

    He also brushed aside comparisons to Barcelona icons Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta. "It's an honour to be named with them—they were my idols," he said. "But they won it all. I've got miles to go."

    Manchester City have yet to make their move official, and Barcelona are quietly confident they won't need to fend off any bids. A recent X post from the club's official account, dated March 29, showed Pedri beaming in training with the caption: "Our midfield engine, happy and thriving."

    For now, the message is clear, Pedri's future lies in Catalonia.